We love survival games here at TL;DR Games. I’ve been accused of being a little too bossy when attempting to build us the home we deserve. This typically involves sending my friends off to nearby woods, hunting grounds, or a variety of ore deposits to gather the necessary items. That may prove to be a little bit difficult in Raft, an upcoming survival and crafting game by Redbeet Interactive. You see, in Raft, you’re floating on, yep, a raft, and are surrounded by water at all times.
Trapped on a small raft with nothing but a hook made of old plastic, players awake on a vast, blue ocean totally alone and with no land in sight! With a dry throat and an empty stomach, survival will not be easy!
Raft throws you and your friends into an epic oceanic adventure! Alone or together, players battle to survive a perilous voyage across a vast sea! Gather debris, scavenge reefs and build your own floating home, but be wary of the man-eating sharks!
Raft has been in development for several years and began its life as a free Itch.io project. On May 23rd, however, it will set sail on the big ocean of Steam Early Access games.
Raft lets you group a couple of your friends together and begin life on a tiny wooden pallet. As materials float by, you collect them and upgrade your vessel until you eventually build an entire floating house of sorts. All this time, you will need to keep an eye on various health meters, fend us hungry sharks, and perform all the typical survival game tasks. Some of the features that Redbeet Interactive has seen fit to include are:
- Multiplayer! Survive by yourself or with friends in online co-op!
- Hook! Use your hook to catch debris floating by.
- Craft! Build survival equipment, weapons, crop plots and more to help you stay alive!
- Build! Expand your raft from a simple wreckage to a buoyant mansion.
- Research! Learn new things to craft in the research table.
- Navigate! Sail your raft towards new places!
- Dive! Drop anchor and explore the depths for more resources.
- Fight! Defend your raft from the dangers of the ocean.
If this sounds a little bit like a survival crafting version of Sea of Thieves, with less pirates and more hunger, then I agree with you. We will be keeping a close eye on Raft when it releases on Steam Early Access on May 23, 2018 for an anticipated $20. Who knows, this may be the next thing for your group of survival gamers to sink their teeth into. Hope you brought your sunscreen!